Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Missing Idaho, but loving Fiji

Hello everyone,

I really do need to do a better job of keeping up on this whole blog thing.   So much has happened in the last few weeks.  It is hard to remember everything.  It has also been challenging to get some free time that I am not mentally exhausted, but here is what I can remember now and it should get a bit more consistent from here on out.

I am officially at my site.  Unfortunately I cannot tell you exactly where that is due to Peace Corps policy, but if you would like to know, you can either ask me, my parents or Michelle.  It is hard to imagine that I have already been in Fiji for about two months.  Training went by so fast.  During the last few weeks I have been staying with my host family.  It was a wonderful experience and I hope that I will be able to stay in touch for many years to come.  At the same time, I am excited to now be at my permanent site for two years.  The best way to describe training, really all of Peace Corps in general, is that the first day you are born again.  I’m not referring to a born again Christian (although it could happen).  In terms of Language, you are back to being a baby.  You first learn how to say hello (BULA!), then you learn yes (io), no (senga), and shortly thereafter, you learn a few more.  I still feel very novice however with my language skills.  I learn so many new things every day.  Today for instance, I went to Savusavu to say good bye to some PCVs that are finishing their service and I took the Drakaniwai bus, unfortunately this bus takes a detour to another area of the island that adds about an hour to the trip.  Once I got to Savusavu, I vowed never to take that bus again.  Unfortunately, I forgot the name of the bus that I vowed never to return on and I happened to get on the same bus again for my return trip.  Needless to say I am very thankful to be at home now resting and not sitting on a noisy bouncy bus.  I also should mention that the trip is on par with some of the Central American counterparts in terms of road conditions.  I am actually surprised that some of the bridges over creeks are able to support a bus with 75-100 people on it (don’t listen to this last part Mom J).   My time in Fiji is funny to say the least.  I never thought that the Peace Corps would be tremendous emotional ups and downs but it is.  Since I have been to site (which is only a couple of days now) I have been a little overwhelmed with it all.  I think that living alone, in Fiji, on the other side of the world from home, the realization of two whole years have all contributed to possible homesickness.  Also, I do not have internet (which I didn’t realize how much I would actually miss) and the only place I can get cell service is by hanging my phone on a lanyard on a nail over my door.  I even missed a call today, so whoever you are, I am sorry.  I have had many ups and downs but I could not get through it without the support of every one of you. 

I should mention that although normally one would think of Fiji as a warm beautiful, sunny, green paradise, … and it is, but not without the occasional weather interruption.  For instance, a few weeks ago, we had a tremendous amount of rain and partly due to that it got really cold (when I say really cold, I mean in the 50°F).  I even had to put on my one light jacket and wear my one pair of jeans.  It was a little bit of a shock.  I’m not going to lie. 

Since it is after July 4th, I figure I should say a few words about my swearing in.  I think I might have missed the celebration of it all.  Don’t get me wrong, it was an incredibly happy and joyous time, but as I was sitting there listening to the President of Fiji as well as the American Ambassador speak, I was concentrating more on the oath I was about to take.  I have never been in the military and so I have never pledged my loyalty and service to my country for anything accept the pledge of allegiance, and definitely not for two years of my life.  It was a bit of a humbling experience.  I did pledge, although at the point where you say “I  say your name”, all of us said “I (awkward pause) do solemnly swear…”.  It was pretty hilarious.  We all missed our name interjection point.  The crowd had a good laugh too. 

The day after swearing in, about ten of us boarded a plane for Labasa (pronounced Lambasa) to meet our Initial Community Contact Person (ICCP).  I really do like my ICCP.  I am sorry Michelle, but I might actually have a little bit of a man crush on him.  Let’s just say he’s ripped!  His name is Illimo and he is actually a really nice guy.  He is also really smart and worked with Melissa (the former PCV) on an extensive water sanitation project.  I have a very motivated village although it will take a few months for me to get up to speed in my Fijian as well as understanding of village dynamics. 

I am very grateful for being able to follow after another PCV in the community I am in, although it is not without its hardships.  It is tough to always be compared to the version of the PCV that left, not the former PCV that started.  I think that this will just take time however.  Also, my house is incredibly small, even for one person. 

I will not leave without leaving you with extensive mouthwatering.  My village is on a little hill that overlooks the ocean.  There are white sandy beaches on one side and high mountains (or hills to Idahoans) on the other.  Because my village is so remote, horses are often used as a means of transportation and carrying loads (usually sacs of Kasava or Dalo, which are like a Potato without the taste).  In fact my first day here, I was on the beach and a Fijian on horseback came ridding up to give it a bath in the ocean. 

Missing Idaho, but loving Fiji,



Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment